Initial Track Drills Called by Jaako

Clark, DeFries, Harwood All Back From Winter Term

Varsity track practice will begin this afternoon at Briggs Cage, Coach Jaake Mikkola announced yesterday. "Since a lot of men have gone, leaving places open, everybody had a good chance to make the team. We will be able to get out on the riverbank quite soon and after that we'll shift to the Freshman track."

Last fall Mikkola entertained hopes of having his "big three" combination of Pete Harwood, Dave Murray, and Jeff Tootell around for spring competition. But Murray (holder of national inter-collegiate javelin crown) has been transferred to Midshipmen School, while Tootell (who entered College last November after copping the national scholastic shot-put title) has gone into the Army, leaving only Harwood, who is now a Sophomore in the V-12 program. Other men who have left include Tuttle, Atwell, Wharton, Noble, and Meanix.

Mikkola will have back a number of veterans from the recent winter season, though, led by Bob Clark in the dashes, Jack Defries and Vin Moriarty in the half. Chuck Steinbauer in the 440, and Pete Harwood in the vault. Hurdler Marvin Jenkins is expected to head the list of newcomers.