President Praised Freedom In Speech at Tercentenary

Crimson Elected Him To Presidency in '03

With the death of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Harvard has lost its most distinguished graduate. A member of the class of 1904, he was not only active as in undergraduate, but continued his connection with the University after Commencement, delivering a distinguished address at the Tercentenary celebration in 1936.

As a student in the College, Roosevelt was one of the CRIMSON's most successful presidents, and in addition Chairman of his-Class Committee. A leading athlete before his contraction of infantile paralysis, he rowed in many of the Crimson crews while at the College.

Tercentenary Address

His speech at the Tercentenary foreshadowed his outspoken fight in the defense of truth and liberty, keynote of his policy since the beginning of this war.

In the address he stated, "In spite of fears, Harvard and the nation of which it is a part have marched steadily to new and successful achievements, changing their formations and their strategy to meet new conditions; but marching always under the banner of freedom....

"In this day of modern witch-burning when freedom of thought has been exiled from many lands which were once its home, it is the part of Harvard and America to stand for the freedom of the human mind and to carry the torch of truth.

"The truth is great and will prevail. For centuries that grand old saying has been a support for persecuted men. But it depends on men's tolerance, self restraint, and devotion to freedom, not only for themselves, but also for others, whether the truth will prevail through free research, free discussion, and the free intercourses of civilized men, or will prevail only after suppression and suffering when none cares whether it prevails or not.

Love of Liberty

"Love of liberty and freedom of thought is a most admirable attribute of Harvard. But it is not an exclusive possession of Harvard or of any other university in America. Love of liberty and freedom of thought are as profound in the homes, on the farms, and in the factories of this country as in any university. Liberty is the air Americans breathe.

"Our government is based on the belief that a people can be both strong and free, that civilized men need no restraint but that imposed by themselves against the abuse of freedom. Nevertheless, it is the peculiar task of Harvard and every other university and college in this country to foster and maintain not only freedom within its own walls, but also tolerance, self-restraint, main dealing, and devotion to the truth throughout America."