Crimson Network Airs First Program From Remodeled Quarters in Dudley

Shepherd Hall Deserted for New Soundproofed Studios

"With studios at 31 Holyoke Street" will no longer be the familiar station identification long heard over the Crimson Network. Culminating a series of rapid changes which include a name change to WHCN and a kilocycle change to 800, the Network began broadcasting last night at its new station in Dudley Hall.

Now situated in the cellar of the commuters' center, with an entrance at the side door, WHCN has set itself up by the labors of 15 members who have been working since the beginning of April. Taking over the basement in mid-March, the radiomen were forced to sand, paint, and refinish the entire station.

Closing out Shepherd Hall broadcasting with two candidates hovering over two lone instruments in a bare room yesterday morning, members have spent the weekend completing the moving of radio apparatus. Aided by more and new soundproofing space, the Network is now technically equal or superior to most Boston stations.

Unlike Shepherd's shoddy soundproofing, the Dudley station is completely protected. Specially out partions between two walls form three studios so that non-recorded programs can be handled more easily.