INITIAL INSTALLMENT OF 1949 ENTERS WITH 350 REGISTERING FOR SUMMER

GORE, STANDISH, SMITH WILL HOUSE NEOPHYTE FRESHMEN

An estimated 350 new Freshmen, first representatives of the Class of 1949, will sign their names on myriad printed forms this morning in registration procedure at Memorial Hall. Another 75 or 80 second term Freshmen and upperclassmen will register Monday, according to University Hall's necessarily rough estimates at press time.

Beginning their college career in an abbreviated summer session, the new Freshmen will live in Gore and Standish Halls of Winthrop House and in the Smith Halls of Kirkland House. But the House plan will be inoperative this summer, and going back to the pre-1930 and pre-Harkness days. Freshmen will live in "Freshmen dormitories" as they did under President Lowell's system.

From noon today through supper on Sunday, all new Freshmen will take their meals in what has been known for over a decade as the Kirkland House dining hall; beginning Monday, those members of the Class of '49 living in Gore and Standish Halls will eat in Gore.

Only two entries, F and G, in Gore Hall will be occupied by the Freshmen. They will take up all of Standish Hall, but only the Smith Halls of Kirkland House; Army Air Corps electronics students occupy Bryan Hall. (A list of entry proctors and resident advisers will be found on page two of today's SERVICE NEWS)

After becoming official Harvard students through the process of signing their names approximately 100 times, the new Freshmen will not be plagued, as have preceding classes, by the hordes of contract servers from laundry and cleaning establishments and student organizations.

Writer's cramp awaits the neophytes in several forms today. At 11 o'clock many of them will take the examination for exemption from English A in New Lecture Hall; if the test is true to form, only a small fraction will pass. Placement tests in Chemistry, Physics, French, and Spanish will be given this afternoon.

This evening, at 7.30 o'clock, a reception for all new students in the Kirkland Common Room will be addressed by Paul H. Buck, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Willard L. Sperry, Dean of the Divinity School, and Richard M. Gummere, Chairman of the Committee on Admission. Delmar Leighton '17, Dean of Freshmen, Dr. Arlie V. Bock, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene, and Keyes D. Metcalf, Director of the University Library, will speak at the required meeting for new students in New Lecture Hall tomorrow morning.