Nine Tops Melville Raiders On 6-Hit Game by Wallace

Tight Clutch Hurling Strands 13 on Bases

In complete command all the way, Jack Wallace tied down his fourth win of the summer season Saturday as the Varsity nine edged out the PT Night Raiders from Melville by a score of 5 to 2.

Though hampered by five Crimson miscues, Wallace pitched beautiful ball as he let the Raiders down with six hits, and four bases on balls. Pitching at his best with men aboard, he finished the game with a total of thirteen Melville men having been stranded on base.

The first run for the Raiders was the result of a freak triple by "Red" Clawson, leadoff man, and a groundout by Ben Schadler in the first. The triple, which was just another easy outfield fly, was converted into a three-bagger by Mel Allen and Bob Carlton, who performed an Alphonse-Gaston act on the ball, letting it drop between them.

Crimson Goes Ahead in First

Wallace was at least assured of a tie as the Crimson jumped the raider pitcher for two runs in the first. Forte and Chuck Roche began the inning with walks. Both moved up a base on Don Swegan's sacrifice bunt to third. Forte then scored on Mel Allen's infield single, and Roche dented the plate on Wallace's grounder to first.

Hits by Swegan, Wallace, and Herb Eckenroth netted the Crimson another run, and what proved to be the winning tally in the third, as Swegan crossed the plate for number three.

In the eighth, Allen, Wallace, and Eckernroth collaborated on two more Crimson tallies. Allen walked, and went to third on Wallace's single to right. On Eckenroth's long drive into left field which was juggled by the Raider gardener, both crossed the plate, scoring the final two Crimson runs.

Base Running Loses Tally

Only a bit of wild base running in the second inning kept the Crimson from raising the score even higher. After Carlton had walked, he was sacrificed to second. Attempting to steal third, he was safe when the third sacker dropped the ball. Forte then walked, With men on first and third, the Varsity then pulled a double steal, with Forte breaking for second, and Carlton breaking for the plate. But when Carlton strolled merrily back to third Forte was easily nailed going into second, ending the rally.

Yesterday the Crimson crossed bats with the Tufts' nine at Soldiers Field. Friday they engage the Boston Coast Guard, again on the home diamond.

The summary: ab  r  h  po  a  e Forte, 2b  2  1  0  5  3  1 Roche, rf  3  1  0  1  0  0 Swegan, ss  3  1  1  0  4  1 Allen, lf  3  1  1  1  0  0 Wallace, p  4  1  2  1  3  0 Eckenroth, c  4  0  2  6  0  0 Carlton, cf  1  0  0  2  0  0 Ayers, 3b  3  0  0  1  2  1 Crumrine, 1b  3  0  0  10  1  2 Totals  26  5  6  27  13  5

Innings:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 M.T.B.  1  0  0  0  0  0  0  1  0--2 Harvard  2  0  1  0  0  0  0  2  x 5

Sacrifices: Swegan, Ayers Stolen base: Allen. Strikeouts: by Wallace 6. Bases on balls: off Wallace 4.

Umpires: Gardella and Nojo.

Umpires: Gardella and Nojo.

Umpires: Gardella and Nojo.