Schlesinger Will Address Political Conference Here

Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, associate professor of History, will make his first appearance on a Harvard lecture platform at Emerson Hall tomorrow morning before an expected gathering of more than 300 students from all over New England at a conference working for the election of progressive candidates this fall.

In his debut after receiving an appointment to the Faculty effective July 1 of this year, the 29-year-old Schlesinger will discuss the national issues involved in the balloting next month, leaving the international and local aspects to his fellow speakers, Raymond Dennett and Thomas Eliot '28.

Playing host to the youthful politicians in conjunction with the United States Student Assembly and the Boston Metropolitan Council of Colleges, the Liberal Union has prepared a Political Action Kit to be distributed at registration at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning. The Kit will include a map of congressional districts, a simplified version of Massachusetts election laws, and a copy of Lowell Mellet's "Handbook of Politics."

Schlesinger is most noted for his book, "The Age of Jackson," in addition to having published his sumpia thesis as an undergraduate. Dennett is from the World Peace Foundation and Eliot has had experience in Congress. Allen and Mrs. Sharp are trying to oust Edith Nourse Rogers and Joseph Martin, respectively.