Varsity Given Half-Holiday With Brief Practice Session

By Irvin M. Horowitz

The Varsity football team was dressed in bright new practice uniforms yesterday, but they had hardly a chance to get them mussed up. After a short signal session Coach Dick Harlow excused his "A" eleven from further work for the afternoon.

With a number of players away at labs and Navy Sci drills, the practice field had a make-shift appearance, and the "B" team spent its time running through signals and practicing defenses against Coast Guard plays. The "C" squad engaged in a scrimmage with the Jayvees to conclude the day's operations.

Game movies of the Princeton fracas left the Varsity head coach in a pleasant mood. The pictures revealed that the Crimson's coverage on Tiger passes was good on all but two of Carl Leibert's aerials, and the completed forwards were almost all a case of the rangy Princeton ends outjumping the Harvard backs, a condition nothing but Adler elevator shoes and a butterfingered receiver can definitely cure.

Dewey Returns

The Varsity squad is in excellent shape for the Coast Guard contest, with only Captain Cleo O'Donnell a certain non-participant. Tackle Ned Dewey was running with the "B" eleven yesterday, and will be fit on Saturday.

Indications that the Varsity will be greeted with another aerial barrage on Saturday came from assistant coach Al McCoy, who watched the Coast Guard defeat Colby, 18 to 12. McCoy praised the Coasties' passer, a 17-year-old youth named Sid Vaughn, and thought the next Harvard opponent a well-coached eleven.

Spectators at the Stadium Saturday will have a good preview of the Yale contest, for the Coast Guard operates from a "T" formation that is very similar to the Elis'. Comparisons between the two had better end there.