College Debaters Face Yale Team On Political Issue

Consider Value of Republican Victory in Autumn Elections In Network-Aired Argument

A capacity crowd is expected in the Lowell House Junior Common Room tomorrow evening when the Harvard Debate Council takes on a visiting team from Yale in its first intercollegiate competition of the season. Plans have been made by the Crimson Network to broadcast the debate, which is scheduled to get under way at 7:45 o'clock.

Subject of the contest is the traditional Harvard-Yale October coverage of the issues in the coming election. Ellis Kaplan '46 and Samuel E. Stuart '45 will defend the negative side of the proposition: "Resolved, that a Republican victory this fall will serve the best interests of the country," while Melvin L. Milligan '45 and Philip Ruppenthal '45 will argue the affirmative case in a simultaneous encounter at New Haven.

Judges Named for Debate

Judges for the debate, which is open to everyone, will include Benjamin F. Wright, professor of Government, Charles R. Cherington '35, faculty instructor in Government, and Paul C. Reardon '32, of the Boston law firm of Hausserman, Davison, and Shattuck.

Fourteen new members were provisionally elected to membership in the Council as a result of trials held yesterday and Tuesday, and which will be concluded Monday.