Booters Suffer First Loss of Season from Amherst, 4-3

Varsity Blows Three Goal Lead, Drops Game; Yardling Team Beats Exeter for Fifth Win

After scoring three times in the first nine minutes of play, the Varsity soccer tram ran out of gas, and by the time the final whistle blow, had been decisively outplayed and defeated 4 to 3 by a big, rough team from Amherst.

Evidently the Crimson squad figured the game was in the bag after that early scoring spree, but the Purple and Gold came storming back and won the contest largely on the strength of their superb condition. While the Crimson just managed to drag through the last quarter, the Jeffmen finished the game still charging hard.

Phil Potter scored first for Harvard on a boot from about ten yards out, and two minutes later added another on a penalty kick. Jocko Smith got the third and last goal for the Crimson in nine minutes of the first period when he slammed home a hard angle shot from the right of the goalmouth.

Then the Purple and Gold began to wear the Crimson down, and in 14 minutes of the first period had gotten its first score. The end of the third period and the start of the fourth saw three goals slammed past the Crimson defenders in quick succession. Ted Stolzfuss was high scorer for the Jeffmen with three points.

While the Varsity was absorbing its first beating of the season, the Freshman soccer team remained in the undefeated lists as it edged a flashy Exeter outfit by the score of 2 to 1.

With the score tied one all at the half, the Yardlings banged home the winning tally in the third period when Bill Gilbert tapped in the ball from a scrimmage in front of the Exeter goal. With the wind against them in the last period, the Yardlings played a strictly defensive game with goalie Charley Bailey making several good saves.