Name Samborski And Barclay for Coach Vacancies

Mentors Chosen for Basketball, Baseball Posts Left Open by Resignation of Floyd Stahl

Vacancies in the Harvard coaching staff caused by the resignation last month of Floyd Stahl were filled last night when William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, announced the appointment of Adolph Samborski '25 as baseball coach and the hiring of William C. Barelay, former member of the University of Michigan coaching staff, as Crimson basketball mentor.

Samborski, who directed the Varsity nine in its last summer schedule, had been Freshman baseball coach for several years, and is also Director of Intramural Athletics.

Barclay, who was graduated from Michigan in 1933, has been assistant in football and basketball and head coach of golf at Ann Arbor. While a Wolverine undergraduate, he won football letters in 1935, 1936, and 1937, and was on the varsity basketball and golf teams in 1936, 1937, and 1938.

Best known for his golfing ability, Barclay won the amateur links championship of the State of Michigan in 1939, the same year in which he began his coaching career at Davison, Michigan, High School. He was appointed freshman football coach at Michigan in the fall of 1942 and varsity assistant in basketball.

The new basketball coach is expected to arrive in Cambridge today, and Bingham said last night that he hopes to introduce the new mentor to Varsity basketball latter-winners as soon as possible. It is expected that Barclay will institute practice sessions shortly after his arrival.