Bunnies Belt Bellboys 7 to 6 As Eliot Tramples Puritans

Careless but Spirited Playing Featured; Elephants Dazzle Opponents in 12-0 Victory

By Richard A. Green

With five minutes to go in the ball game, Leveret's Norm Cameron kicked the season's first placement for an extra point to give the Bunnies a closely contested victory over Lowell House, 7 to 6. Eliot completely dominated Winthrop in the other House football league clash yesterday, coming out on top, 12 to 0.

Both tallies in the Leverett-Lowell battle came from capitalizing on each other's miscues. The Bellboys drew first blood into in the third period when Roger Wales took advantage of a Bunny pass into the flat from its own 25 yard line, neatly intercepted on the 30, and galloped unmolested to the goal line.

George Heiler Scores

Midway in the final quarter, Lowell was forced to kick on the last down from its own 35. A high pass from center sailed down to the 15 where the Bunnies took over, and, on fourth down with about three yards to go, George Heller swept around his own left end to pay dirt. Cameron's kick sowed up the ball game.

Two scoring threats, one by each eleven, highlighted what was otherwise a ragged game offensively. In the opening stanza, Lowell marched to the Leverett 22 yard line before being stopped. The Bunnies' threat came in the waning minutes of the second period and ended inside the Lowell 20 where the last play of the half was an incomplete pass into the end zone.

Strong Eliot Line

Eliot's inter-changeable lines throttled the Winthrop running attack in the other contest and were effective enough on at least two occasions offensively to shake their backs loose for touchdowns. The first score was made early in the opening period with Dick Coe carrying on a weak-side reverse, after a long punt by Greeley and consistent gains on the ground had brought Eliot to the Puritan 10 yard stripe. The Mastadons struck again in the fourth period when George Strout spurted through a gaping hole in the Winthrop line, then ambled 30 yards to score. Although unable to gain on the ground, the Puritans uncorked a flashy passing attack, which gave them their longest advances of the day.

In this afternoon's set-tos, Kirkland will tangle with Dudley in a battle of undefeated grid titans while Adams and Dunster are fighting to enter the win column. The Deacons started to click in the second half when they shaded the Funsters 13 to 12 last week and show evidence of latent power. Plenty of scrap and heads-up football carried the Dudleyites to a 6 to 0 victory over Leverett in their opener. Adams finished up on the short end of a 12 to 0 score in their encounter with league-leading Eliot last Thursday.

The lineups in the games yesterday: Leverett: le, Duble; lt, Baker, Hezlett; lg, Frank, Connolly; c, Grant, Straus; rg, Max, Carlisle; rt, Thorn, Neville; re, Oburchay; backs, Hurley, Mayer, Snyder, Heller, Cameron, Bentley, Warren.

Lowell: le, Mack, Thomson; lt, Green, Smith; lg, Fry, Reuter; c, Brock, Healy, Guildiff rg, Richardson, Sporn; rt, Silvers; re, Keller, Post; backs Bowditch, Wales, Briggs, Ayres, Cutler, Lewis, Allard. HOUSE GRID STANDINGS Houses  Won  Lost  Tied Eliot  2  0  0 Dudley  1  0  0 Kirkland  1  0  0 Leverett  1  1  0 Lowell  0  1  0 Adams  0  1  0 Winthrop  0  1  0