Filley Triumphs in Cross Country Opener as Pratt Makes Best Time

Mikkola Pleased With Results Of Intramural Handicap; 10 Selected for Varsity Lineup

Leading a field of 56, Oliver Filley crossed the tape 250 yards ahead of his nearest contender in the University cross country handicap yesterday afternoon on the Charles River course. Although he won the race itself hands down, his actual time was 21:10 which put him in sixth place according to the stop watch. Best time place was taken by Herb Pratt, who ran the 3.7 mile course in 20:17.

Filley started in the class II handicap group with a 30 second handicap, while second and third placers, Watson Baker and Joseph Leeming, both began the race in the first class with no handicap.

Mikkola Pleased

Coach Jaakko Mikkola expressed satisfaction in the results of the contest and said that in spite of the fact that no outstanding time was turned in, there was a large group of strong finishers in the 21 minute bracket. "Considering that we have only had a week in which to train for this event, I am hopeful about the future of the team," he remarked.

Promptly at 4:15 o'clock the first contingent of nine harriers strode up the river trail from behind Newell Boat House. Following in quick succession the five other handicap classes took off from the line with 30 second, 50 second, 1:10, 1:50, and 3:10 handicaps respectively.

In the sixth, or Varsity class, Pratt and Mark Tuttle, former captain of track and cross country teams, but now a graduate student, took the lead and stuck close together until well past the half-way mark at which time Pratt gained a slight lead and finally beat Tuttle by 8 seconds.

Unfortunately neither Pratt nor Tuttle will be able to participate in next Friday's quadrangular meet. Tuttle is out on the score of his rank as a graduate student, and Pratt will be out of competition until after November hours.

Selections for the ten-man Varsity will be based on the remaining ten best times without regard to placing in yesterday's race. Probable lineup for the Tufts-Holy Cross-MIT engagement will be: William O'Connor, T. H. Walnut, Frank Gurley, Peter Morgan, John Cogan, Harold May, Raymond Brown, Norman Murch, and Peter Ways.