Freshman Gridders Outplay Jayvees, Lose thriller 14-8

McDaniel Snags Winning Pass After Lamarmen Lead 8-7 in Last Period on Blocked Punt

By Robert W. Morgan jr.

Threatening all afternoon, but lacking the final punch to put the ball over for a touchdown, the Freshmen completely outplayed Chief Boston's favored Jayvees yesterday on Soldiers Field, only to lose in the final quarter 14 to 8.

With the Lamarmen leading 8 to 7 is the latter stages of the contest, Jayee end Dana Bresnahan revevered a blocked punt on the Freshman 35-yard line to set up the drive for the final margin of victory. Tom Moseley subsequently passed to Bill Fitz for 16 yards, and followed with toss to Bud McDaniel, who made a spectacular snag in the end zone for the deciding score.

Held On One-Yard Line

Four times during the game, the Freshmen drove to within 20 yard of the enemy goal line, only to lose the ball on downs or pass interceptions. In the first period, they were held for four downs on the one-yard line, but the biggest blow of all came as the clock ran out unexpectedly to end the game with the first-year men driving on the Jayvee six.

First score of the year against the Boston boys came in the second period when Jim Kenary's tantalizing shovel passes, climaxed with a long flip to Bob Forsyth, advanced the ball to the Jayvee one. After two unsuccessful line bucks, Kenary tossed to Don Trimble in the flat for six points. Kenary's try for the conversion was wide.

Rallying quickly, the Jayvees scored on Dave Farrell's running and passing, with Bresnahan and Fitz on the receiving end of the aeriels, and Farrell plunging over from the one for the touchdown. Bucky (Guess Who) Harrison booted the conversion.

Biocked Punt

Suspense mounted in the second half when Pete Harwood dropped back to punt for the Jayvees on his own five-yard line. Freshman Howie Reed broke through to block the kick with such force that the ball bounded through the end zone before any player could touch it, and the Lamarmen men led 8 to 7.

This set the stage for the Junior forces' final period drive to score and win. Moseley came in to replace Farrell, who was forced to leave the game, and McDaniel went in a moment later to catch the winning pass.

The Freshman line was impressive all afternoon, stopping the vaunted Jayvee running attack and offering fine protection on the offense for the "T" formation razzle-dazzle which took place behind it. From the sidelines, they appeared to out weight their opponents considerably.