Lewis Is Silent On Calling Off Coal Situation

Over the Wire

WASHINGTON, November 21--A Federal judge started contempt of court action against John L. Lewis late today but the United Mine Workers chief, in deep seclusion, still made no move to call of the strike of 400,000 soft coal miners.

Justice T. Alan Goldsborongh of Federal District Court ordered Lewis to appear before his bench Monday morning and show cause why he and his union should not be held in contempt, a charge punishable to fine or jail sentence.

If the strike continues until then--and there was nothing to indicate tonight that it would not--steel mills will be closing down, railroads curtailing their service and crippling effects will begin to be felt throughout the country. Already a "brownout" had been ordered in Washington, the seat of government, including the darkening of the Capitol dome.

One report of strike violence came at the end of the day from Welch, W. Vs. L. J. Brindley, Prosecutor's Investigator, said two union officials were shot as they tried to induce the operator of a small mine to close it. Officials have said that troops will be sent into the coal fields if necessary to maintain order.