Union Clubs, Activities Increase Under Dean Bradford's Guidance

With five Yardling clubs newly organized and one in the embryonic stage, the welter of Freshman activities lodged in the Union rapidly approaches full efficiency. The newest is a series of discussion groups which will be organized following an address by Benjamin F. Wright, chairman of the faculty committee on General Education, who will speak to the Class of 1950 on the General Education program Monday evening at 7:30 o'clock in the Union.

Clubs for Freshmen interested in bridge, chess, stamps, and photography ave been operating for the last two weeks, have been operating for the past two weeks, with a Music Club recently proposed. All activities are under the supervision of William C. Bradford, secretary of the Union, and the Union Committee, of which James Ward '50 is chairman.

Formal Scheduled for Friday

On the social side a formal dance is scheduled for next Friday evening in the Common Room of the Union, featuring the music of Harry Marshand with Ruth Owens as vocalist. Dark suits or tuxedos are optional, with a room and attendant provided to allow girls to change into long dresses. Ticket sales have been proceeding at a rapid rate and the Dance Committee expects a sellout. Weekly record dances will also be sponsored by the committee. Profits from the Inaugural Ball will be used for this purpose.

Red Book subscriptions have been received in great volume as the pictures of the Yardlings which have proceeded under the direction of Robert J. Blinken '50, are all but completed.

Minor clubs are also active, with the Bridge Club holding a tournament open to any member of the College. Thus far more than fifty duos have signed up for the competition for a cash prize. The Chess Club and the Stamp Club are still in a process of formation, while the Photography Club is converting a room in the Union into a dark-room.