American Reaction

Isolationism, of a new militant variety, has taken to the field again under the picturesque cloak of "American Action Incorporated." Born eighteen months ago in Chicago, this organization has enhanced its influence by inserting paid advertisements in newspapers throughout the country. As the legitimate offspring of the "America First Committee" of pre-war isolationist renown, it has sought in the November elections to keep out of office "Quislings" who "pretend to be friends to all, particularly the working man, but actually take orders from, or collaborate with those enemies of our government." This offhand indictment of all who look red or alien foreshadows a resurgence of nineteenth century foreign policy.

"American Action" is the Ku Klux Klan of the north. Like the Klan, it claims to be everything,--anti-communist, anti-fascist, and pro-American. Patronized by Col. MeCormick and the "Chicago Tribune," it pretends to be the right wing's answer to the Political Action Committee. Its chairman is one Edward A. Hayes, an old "America First Committee" coadjutor who considers himself an expert on communism and subversive activities. At present, while heavily financed by the Republican isolationist bloc in the middle west, "American Action" has been soliciting contributions and a mailing list all over the country with which to disseminate the bacillus of isolation.

Posing as the arbiter of both major political parties, "American Action" has fond its place rather conspicuous in the Republican sun. In the Illinois congressional elections, for instance, Chairman Hayes has shared levels of demagoguery with Governor Green in attacks on Democratic candidates in all six districts awaiting decision today. And not content to be a piker or a hypocrite, Hayes has echoed the "Chicago Tribune" in its daily harangues against Henry Wallace and the Truman administration.

The growth of "American Action" means that the climate is once more suitable for poisonous mushrooms. Now that President Roosevelt is dead, and in the hope that the American people have forgotten Nazi Germany, the McCormicks and the Gerald L. K. Smiths are again playing upon the fear of Russian expansion to promote their own brand of ostrich-like islationism. In light of the lessons of the 30's, this isolation is more than a short-sighted national policy. It is an international tragedy. In spite of its tender age and influence, "American Action" must be brought out into the light before its contagion has had a chance to flourish treacherously in the darkness.