Lowell Wins by Three Touchdowns Over Winthrop for Second Straight

Smith Tallies Twice on Bucks; Briggs Scampers 40 Yards For Score in 18-0 Runaway

By Richard A. Green

Eleven Bellboys from Lowell harmonized to the tune of three touchdowns yesterday to ring up the most decisive victory of the House football season thus far at the expense of an outmanned Winthrop aggregation, 18 to 0.

Hard-running by the Lowell backs and hard-charging by the Lowell line spelled defeat for the Puritans, who were unable to halt the co-ordinate Bellboy attack, which operated almost exclusively on the ground. On the defense, the black-shirted Lowell forward wall constantly thwarted the Winthrop T formation plays, so that the Puritans were forced to take to the air for their first two downs. Only once during the game was Winthrop in Lowell territory, that coming as the result of a recovered Bellboy fumble.

In the first period, Lowell threatened twice, by falling on a loose ball in the Puritan backfield on the 20 and by Austy Lyne's punt runback from midfield to the 25. Both times the Winthrop line stiffened and prevented a score. Early in the second quarter, the Bellboys broke through to smother an attempted broke and took over on the 15, from where Lyne charged around right end to within one foot of the goal line. Harden Smith, who alternated at tackle and fullback during the course of the afternoon, bucked over for the first tally.

Again in the second period, Lowell struck swiftly on the ground, led by Lyne, Smith, and Loring Briggs, with Smith carrying off tackle from the three for the second score. In the third stanza, with Lowell in possession on the Winthrop 40, Briggs campered around right end, threaded his way along the sideline, and shook off two tacklers on the five to go over for the final six points.

Winthrop's big threat was in the pitching arm of Bud Weld, who was deadly at short range when he had time to get his passes away before practically the whole Lowell line broke through.

The lineups: Lowell; le, Mack, P. Thomson; lt, Green; lg, Sporn, Marble; c, Brook, Post; rg, Richardson; rt, Silver; rc, Kaelber; backs, Wales, Briggs, Bowditch, Lyne, Smith, Allard.

Winthrop: le, Holmes; lt, Duncan; lg, Dolge; c, French; rg, Hesse; rt, White; re, Sanders; backs, Weld Harris, Stevens, Loring.