Laidler Demands Positive Solution To Coal Problem

With a plea for a permanent settlement of the problems in the coal mines by a recognition of the positive issues involved, Harry Laidler, executive secretary of the League for Industrial Democracy, yesterday evening in the Winthrop House Senior Common Room addressed a meeting of the University group loosely affiliated with the League on the subject of "Crisis in the Coal Mines."

Restricting his talk largely to a review of the coal situation in recent years and a presentation of the conditions which exist in the mines today, Laidler offered a three point program for resolving the main difficulties. The solution lies through the effective application of public pressure to make management negotiate in good faith, to democratize the UMW, and to force the government to adopt a positive approach, such as more effective mediation, in strike situations, said Laidler.

Laider demonstrated that the long run trend in the industry is toward nationalization, and asserted that the main object of his organization is to arouse public support for the democratic elements of this trend through educational campaigns.

The University appendge of League, which is known as the Harvard Society for Industrial Democracy, is one of the newer organizations to elbow into the crewded college political arena, standing somewhat on the left of center but claiming a firm belief in the "essential princeples to democracy."