For Students Only

Persistance in pursuing an objective counts as a virtue in American society, but the line is and must be frequently drawn where pursuit of individual ideals transgresses the general interest. With the popular election of three students to represent the University at the Chicago National Student Conference in the offing a religious organization within the College has seen fit to send postcards to its members reminding them to vote for "their" candidate, one of the nominees.

Such support in such a politically-disorganized community will probably assure the candidate's election. He is undoubtedly qualified for the honor. But it requires small reflection to realize that the University's representatives are expected to speak for and act as students, not as lobbyists for a particular organization, political, religious, or otherwise. The true potential in the idea of students meeting together on a national or world basis lies in the application of the open-minded search for knowledge to their own problems. If the dogmas of organizations already established are to occupy the discussions, a sincere endeavor will have been wasted. Any tag-line but that of "student" should be ignored by tomorrow's voters.