Skaters Open Campaign as Underdogs to B. U.; Mermen Picked as Heavy Favorites Over M. I. T.

Tech Coach Has Gloomy Forebodings About Team's Chances With Crimson Tonight

"I am going to get licked," was Coach Gordon Smith's pitty forecast of his Tech Swimmers' efforts tonight, meeting Hall Ulen's outfit in the Indoor Athletic Pool at 8 o'clock. But casting nothing resembling a towel in his opposition's direction, he added that he was damned if he'd tip his cards the night before by releasing any indication of a lineup.

Hence, past performances, as in the precarious pastime of doping the ponies, are the only suggestion to befuddled crystal gazers. Except for an informal affair with the Alumni last Saturday, tonight's plunge represents the baptismal sprinkling in competition for the Crimson watermen. A 51 to 15 victory score here offers scant comfort in itself, but Ulen appeared to be holding his heavy guns in reserve.

Three Stalls for Tech

Meeting Brown for their opener on December 7, M. I. T. bowed 41 to 34. They reduplicated these figures in the following Friday's defeat to Amherst, and lost the next night to Wesleyan 47 to 28.

"Our relay isn't what's wrong, although that's what the figures seem to say," remarked Gordon. Just where the tragic flaw fell thrice, however, he refused to state, considering such information of tactical importance. Other channels, nevertheless, report of a very weak breast-stroking staff.

Ulen's backstroker, Bob Branard, will have to hustle tonight in the backstroke, as the lads from down the Charles boast a powerful operator in John McCabe.