Lack of Elementary Texts Makes Less Work for Christmas Grinds

Government 1 Theme-Writers Find Few 'Dictatorship' Volumes; No Book Shortages in Widener Reading Room or Stacks; Library Available to Vacationers from Other Schools

Shortages of required texts in Gov. 1 and History 1 will necessitate a study-loss vacation for many students who wish to do holiday work in those courses, according to officials of the Union Library and the Boylston Reading Room.

Only eight copies of Cobban's "Dictatorship" were available for take-home purposes to 986 Government students, many of whom have not yet written a required theme on the book, due after vacation. Miss Louise Rodgers, Union Librarian, announced that there were 16 copies earlier in the week eight having recently disappeared.

Shortages for History

Many History 1 students will find themselves out of luck if they try to draw the Hayes or Lucas texts from Boylston Reading Room, where there are long waiting lists for vacation reservations.

For students remaining in Cambridge during the holidays, there will be at least two or three copies of every assigned book on hand in the two elementary course libraries.

Widener officials, however, stated that users of that library are finding no unusual difficulty in obtaining texts. Traffic in the reserved book section is less than the normal weekend quota, according to Philip J. McNiff, superintendent of the Reading Room. For the protection of students remaining at the College, copies are going out one to a customer.

Stacks Unaffected

The supply of books in the Widener stacks will not be affected by the vacation demands, stated Robert Work, reference assistant in the library, because of the large number of graduate students who will not be leaving. Members of other colleges all over the country will be permitted the use of the library during the holidays, he added.

Work reminded all students who are borrowing books from the stacks over the vacation to write, telephone, or telegraph the number of the book before 14 days have elapsed, so that it may be renewed.