VETERAN INFLUX TAKES UNIVERSITY BY SURPRISE

But Bender's Office Rushes Preparations

If you were in the Army or Navy four months ago, you weren't the only one who doubted that you'd be registering today. It was reported unofficially that the War Department was predicting to the nation's institutions of learning that there was no cause to fear a sudden boost in enrollment until next September.

But Wilbur J. Bender, counsellor for veterans, had been in the Navy himself and knew that Washington became confused (sometimes), so he summed up his staff's experience with the sudden influx of returning vets they had to contend with after V-J Day, and got ready for any possibility.

Veterans Swamp University

Bender, along with most of the University officials, has been working night as well as day to arrange applications for G.I. Bill benefits and course credits before any of the incoming hordes appeared in person, and has issued briefing instructions, to be issued at Memorial Hall today, which are designed to answer routine questions.

On top of September's 1500 registration figure, Bender had predicted a "conservative" 770 new men for this term in a statement he made in mid-November, when problems of where to put the present numbers were still plaguing University officials.

Subsistence Checks Were Delayed

Last term's newly-returned veteran students found themselves left high and dry for several months when the G.I. Bill benefits applied for in haste at registration day didn't come through in the form of tangible cash until after Hour exams.

The Counselor for Veterans office and the University cooperated to start the newcomers off on credit, relieving the students of their worries about tuition and book fees, and their experience in handling such matters under pressure is enabling them to meet the needs of the present greatly increased numbers with dispatch.

Veterans may get book application forms at the first floor office at Weld Hall, and should list the books and essential classroom equipment after their first course meetings. The list will be typed and approved and may be "cashed in" at the Coop, which has made special arrangements with the University.

After one has received his Veterans Administration form all inquiries about subsistence checks should be made direct to them while the University has assumed the responsibility for tuition expenses.

Men who feel that their years in the service have taken up too much of their time already to warrant taking the leisurely, normal four-year curriculum, may still accelerate by registering for the 12-week summer sessions.

Dean A. C. Hanford has said that men are advised to take only three courses during the summer because of the condensed version in which they are given, but a maximum of four is allowed. When questioned yesterday about a possible return to the old two-term year, he said that the necessary Faculty vote on the move had not been considered because veterans anxious to get their degrees as quickly as possible were numerous enough to make the summer session profitable.

Also for men cager to earn their A.B. in as little time as possible is the committee which evaluates careers in the service in terms of course credits up to as high as four full courses, or even more in the case of those who have taken ASTP programs at other colleges.

More than 150 different military training programs have been evaluated by the committee in deciding on some 1500 cases that have already come before it. Barring repetition of Military Science courses already taken here, an infantryman who has undergone his regular 13-week basic training will receive credit for one full course, while the pilot officer from the Air Forces gets something like three full credits