Track Team Tops Exeter as Squash, Mat Squads Lose

Harwood Passes Old Mark; Crimson Takes Eight Events

In their first regular meet of the season, Coach Jaakko Mikkola's cindermen crushed Exeter by a score of 59 to 22 on the loser's field Saturday. At the same time, the squash team lost to Dartmouth, and the J.V. matmen contested Andover unsuccessfully at Harvard.

The outstanding event of the track meet was the mark set by pole vaulter Pete Harwood, who boosted himself 12 feet 8 inches into the air to set a new Exeter record. The Crimson team eased eight firsts out of nine events to set an impressive pace for the remainder of the season.

Sprinters in Money Twice

Two sprinters placed twice in the money. Cliff Wharton took a first in the 40 yard dash in the time of 4.8 seconds and followed up with a second in the 300 yard event. The 45 yard high hurdles were copped in 6.0 seconds by Jack Hunter, who also loped into third in the 300 yard dash.

The 1000 yard grind also went to the Crimson, Vince Moriarty taking a 2:28.2 first. Groshong and Grey followed their teammate into second and third places respectively. Exeter's lone first came in the 600 yard run when Mitchell nosed out Edlemen of Harvard by one-tenth of a second to take the event in the time of 1 minute, 18.5 seconds.

All the field events went to the Crimson men. Jackson tossed the shot 51 feet 6 inches. Harrigan went 5 feet 9 inches into the air for the high jump, and teammate Holbrook broad jumped a winning 20 feet 7 inches.

Kristopher Berg, 1G.B., once more wreathed the Crimson banner with skiing honors last weekend when he "Nose-Dived" down the icy Mt. Mansfield trail to win both the slalom and downhill races and to carry off the U.S. Eastern Amateur Ski Association's Sandler Trophy.