Early Rules Were Rougher, Tougher Than Those Today

Moral-Investigated Students Had to Master Latin, Greek

"No wines or spirituous liquors will be permitted nor will smoking be allowed at the table in the dining rooms." Thus runs a section of the Parietal Rules of the mid-nineteenth century, which would make good reading for those who think present House rules are too strict.

Included in the two century old book of rules were regulations making chapel compulsory, and requiring men to attend services each morning before classes. Conspicuous by their absence, however, were rules concerning women guests, but every person, before admission to the classes or schools, had to "exhibit proper testimonials of his moral character."

Yet these restrictions were mild compared to the requirement imposed upon those men who came from homes more than 100 miles from Cambridge. All such men had to place all their funds in the care of a "Patron" appointed by the University and could "incur debts only on the order of the Patron."

The requirements for admission were likewise severe when placed alongside the present College Boards. The University catalogue of 1840 reads, "To be received into the Freshman Class, the candidate must be thoroughly acquainted with the Grammar of the Latin and Greek languages, . . . be able to construe and parse from the Gospel in the Greek Testament, Virgil, Sallust, Cicero, . . . and to translate from English to Latin correctly."

Similar requirements are found concerning History and Mathematics, although they are of a less extensive nature. These prerequisites were but introductory to courses in Pliny, Livy, Homer, Natural Philosophy, Calculus, and many others which would not in the majority of cases be given to Freshmen today.

One bright side of this mid-century picture, however, was the expense list of the average student. Instruction, Library, and room fees totaled a mere $90, while board for 72 weeks was $73.50. Minor expenses such as wood for rooms in the winter and "a servant to make fires and polish boots" were likewise small.