Jurists Give Opinions On Philosophy of Law

Pound, Llewellyn, and Cairns Speak at Fourth Forum

Featuring as speakers three prominent jurists, the fourth meeting of the Law School Forum in New Lecture Hall last night was devoted to an analysis of the philosophy of law.

Definitions, comments, and theories on the subject were offered by University Professor Roscoe Pound, Huntington Cairns, author, and Karl Llewellyn, Columbia University professor of law. Moderator was James M. Landis, dean of the Law School.

While Cairns presented an academic interpretation of law and Professor Pound traced its philosophy and development, Professor Llewellyn dealt with its modern day-to-day application.

"The immediate problem of law is really the one of the judge and the controversy before his court, of the lawyer and his client, and of the student and his case book. Everything in life is a part of law," said Professor Llewellyn.

After defining the terms "philosophy" and "law" in beginning his discussion, Professor Pound, who was referred to as the "dean of American jurisprudence" by professor Llewellyn, said that "law was the result of experience developed by reason and that reason was in turn tested by experience."

The fifth forum, discussing the question, "How Should We Reorganize Our Government?" will be held next Friday.