Nine Plays Postponed Tufts Game Today; Rodis, Petrillo Will Start

Postponed because of rain, Saturday's Varsity baseball game against Tufts University will he played at Soldiers Field this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Although Don Swegan may not be able to start because of a spiked hand, the Crimson nine will be boistered by the addition of Nick Rodis and Pete Petrillo.

The Stablmen will be seeking their first win today after three defeats, assigning the pitching duties against the also winless Jumbos to Joe Phelan, who dropped a close, 8 to 7 contest to Connecticut. Right-hander Phelan, returning to college after service with the Marines, pliched here during the 1941 and 1942 seasons.

In addition to Rodis and Petrillo, who will start at left and center fields, and should add considerable hitting power, Mal Allen has been absent at spring football practice, but should see service in right field.

Swegan Leads Hitting

Their work will greatly strengthen the outfield, which has been the team's main problem. Rodis, according to Coach Stahl, is one of the best hitters on the squad. In this department, Swegan has been pacing the team with a sparkling .500 average. He is followed by third baseman Bill Ayers with .427, first baseman and marathoner Bill Fitz at .375, and second baseman Saul Mariaschin at 333.

If the doctors decide to bench Swegan, who was injured in the Quonset game last Wednesday, Iris shortstop position will be filled by Butler.

Tomorrow the Varsity will face Boston College here at 4 o'clock, with lefty John-Knowles slated to do the pitching for the Crimson. To date the Engles have played only two games, taking an 8 to 7 loss from Northeastern and having beaten Amherst 6 to 3.