Rhode Island, Holy Cross Trimmed in Local Meet

Crimson Trackmen Total 96 1-6 As Hunter, Jackson, and Clark Take Double Wins

Although they couldn't get up to 100 points, an arbitrary goal that Jaako Mikkola set for the team when early events were taken more easily than expected, the Harvard cinder pounders overwhelmed Rhode Island State and Holy Cross by a score of 96 1/6 to 46 to 22 1/6, respectively in the Stadium and envirous Saturday. The meet was held in a cold, drizzling rain which limited attendance and hampered the performers considerably.

The meet started with the hammer throw, which was held in back of the stadium. While Fisher's heave of 153 feet 11 1/2 inches won the event for the Crimson, with brother Jack's 151 feet coming in second. Jack Thorndike of Harvard came in third and Congdon of Rhode Island fourth.

Following this, Hunter won the high hurdles in 16.3 seconds, with Petorella of Rhode Island coming in second and Kendall and Ed Lewis both wearing the Crimson, coming in third and fourth respectively. After the 100 yard dash preliminary heats, Clark took the first of his two victories in the 440, nosing out teammate John Edelman and Holy Cross' Majsak. Goldstein, of Rhode Island, took fourth, Clark's time was 51.1 seconds, three positions.

Holy Cross Wins Mile

The mile run was the only event in which the Mikkolamen did not finish in the money. It was won by Jimmy O'Leary, in 4:35.9 for the first of the Crusaders' two wins. Rhode Island took the other.

One of the more thrilling races seen all day was the two mile run. Vince Moriarty jogged easily through seven and a half laps, finally pulling away from Mike Tarasevich, Norm Monks, and Norm La Flamme of Rhode Island to win by twenty yards. The time was 10:14.3.

Herb Fritts win the 100 yard dash in 10.4 seconds with Bob Cameron taking fourth. Sandwiched in between were Haire and Kennett of Rhode Island. The half mile was the closest race of the day. In the backstretch Bill Ellis, of Harvard, had the lead and George Finn of Holy Cross was second. Around the turn, mile winner O'Leary turned on the heat but down the stretch it was O'Brien of Harvard who managed to grab the lead and heat out the competition to the tape. His time was 2:2.4. O'Leary was second and Goldstein and Cashman of Rhode Island finished third and fourth.

Hunter Cops 220 Hurdles

The 220 low hurdles were won, of course, by Hunter in 25.4 seconds with Petrolla, again, right behind him. Ed Lewis of Harvard came in third and Dahl of Rhode Island was in the fourth spot. Harvard came in third cmfw cmf spot. Clark hung up his second win in the 220, coming home in 23 seconds, not even bothering to climb out of his sweat suit for the event. Cameron was the number two man. Gilmartin of Holy Cross was the third and Kennett, of Rhode Island, fourth.

In the field events, the discus throw was taken by Jackson with a toss of 172 feet 6 3/4 inches. Pete Garland of the Crimson was second with 123:1, Lauro of Rhode Island third with 120:1 and Willo Fisher fourth with a heave of 119:4 3/4.

Pete Harwood cleared 12 feet 6 inches in the pole vault, although 12 feet would have been sufficient. Owen Torrey, of Harvard took second, clearing the bar at 11:6, wile the Crimson's Howard and the Purple's Calabrese tied for third a 11 feet. The broad jump, held underneath the sands, was won by Benesch of Rhode Island, who lept 20 feet, 11 1/3 inches to beat out Kennett by an inch and an eighth. Natale of State was third and Wyman fourth, Harvard's only point winning position in the event.

A put of 44 feet 4 1/2 inches gave Jackson his second first in the shot put. Garland took second, Lauro third, and Sicuranza o Holy Cross fourth. Horrigan of Harvard, Garland, and Kelly of Holy Cross ended up in a triple tie for the top in the high jump with 5 feet 10 inches. Benesch took one point with a jump of 5 feet 6 inches.

The last event of the afternoon, the javelin throw, was held behind the base ball stands. On his last try, the Crusaders' John Connolly committed a heave of 163 feet 11 1/2 inches to give Holy Cross its second win of the day. The Crimson ace, Joe Holbrook took second with 160 feet 5 1/2 inches. Kaebler of Harvard threw the spear 157:9. Hanna, of the Rams took fourth.