Crimson Rowers Meet Nine Crews On Severn Today

Ross, Cocbran, Grant Still Out, But Crimson Ranked Behind Strong Cornell as Favorite

Coach Tom Bolles this afternoon at 5:40 o'clock brings his varsity crew to the season's most decisive test on the Annapolis middles home waters in the Severn basin. Despite the fact that regular stroke Torby Ross is not yet ready to resume his rowing chores and bowman Bill Cochran and cox Grant Thomas are laid up with colds, the Crimson varsity enters the nine-way regatta an one of the two favored shells.

The rangy, powerful Cornell boat, that captured last week's outing on the Charles, presents the strongest obstacle in the way of the Bollesmen as the attempt to regain Eastern crew domination today on the 1 3/4 mile Severn course.

Another strong entrant is the Pennsylvania shell, which downed Columbia, also participating today. Although untried in local competition, traveling Wisconsin oarsmen have always shown up well in Ivy League waters, will probably do so again this afternoon.

Navy Handicapped

The Navy hosts lost their first contest this year to Columbia and will be further handicapped by the ancient shell they drew in the pre-match lottery. MIT's varsity eight that last week trailed Crimson and Cornell shells will today have the advantage of rowing in the newest middle boat.

Two weeks ago Pennsylvania crossed the finish line well ahead of Rutgers and Princeton, the other contestants in today's race.

Beginning the afternoon's activities, the Jayvee boats will get underway at 4:30 o'clock. At home, the 150 lb. crew will entertain Pennsylvania, Princeton, and MIT.