Faculty Enlarged With Appointments of Eight Lectures, Instructors

Two Visiting Professors Will Teach Classics, Italian

Eight additions to the Faculty, only one of which will take effect in time for the opening of the summer term, were announced by the University yesterday. These appointments follow by two weeks the choice of eight new visiting lecturers and one research fellow.

In the Classics Department, Associate Professor Philip W. Harsh will teach as a visiting lecturer on loan from Stanford University for a term beginning officially June 17. He received his Ph.D. at Chicago in 1933.

Effective July 1, Gerhard P. Hochschild, Ph.D. Princeton '41, of Princeton, N.J., and Lowell I. Schoenfeld, Ph.D. Pennsylvania '44, of Philadelphia, will become Benjamin Peirce Instructors in Mathematics, while William H. McClain, Ph.D. Wisconsin '43, of Cleveland, will start as an instructor in German.

Renato Poggioli, assistant professor of Italian and Romance Languages at Brown University, has been appointed visiting lecturer in Italian from September 1. He holds the degree "Dottoria in Lettere in Filologia Moderna, maxima cum laude," from the University of Florence, 1929.

Also starting in time for the fall term will be John A. Ciardi of Medford, as Briggs-Copeland Instructor in English, Roger M. Asselineau of Paris, France, as instructor in French, and Vincent J. Glennon, of Worcester, as teaching fellow in Education.