Network, PBH Cooperate to Bring Radio Wire to Stillman's Patients

Actions designed to bring convalescing patients "closer to college life," while at the same time providing them with "pleasant evening entertainment" were revealed last night as the Crimson Network and Phillips Brooks House announced the beginning of a complete and individual radio service which will eventually extend to each of Stillman Infirmary's 36 hospital beds.

After last night's experimental tests with eight receivers, results were declared by both technicians and patients alike to be "entirely satisfactory." Installment of the remaining 28 will be completed sometime today or tomorrow pending adjustments of the few minor flaws discovered in the first evening's listening.

Money for the new program was given by Phillips Brooks House as part of its hospital visitation service, while technical know-how was supplied by the Network staff. Also assisting in the intiation of the plan were the telephones company--who extended a line to the infirmary from Network studies--and the University Maintenance Department--which wired the inside of the building to each bed.

The first program, to be transmitted over the new line was a dramatic production of the Harvard Radio Workshop entitled "And Therefore Forever" written by its President John L. Simon '46. Shortly afterward, the patients heard the Network's Record Review.

When the installment is completed, the Network will send its regular evening's broadcasting over the wire, and all patients at the infirmary, will be able to receive radio amusement from 7:28 to 12:05 o'clock.

Although original plans called for only eight hearing gadgets to be installed, consultation with the hygiene department resulted in the decision to wire all beds, in anticipation of the jump in Stillman enrollment which is expected to follow skyrocketing University registration in the fall.