Post-war Aid To Student Veterans Set at $1,000,000

Graduates' Dining Hall Will Be Included in University's "Demobilization" Projects

"Something like $1,000,000" will be spent for special help to veteran students in the next three or four years, it was estimated by Edward Reynolds '15, administrative vice president of the University, in a letter to the Student Council Housing committee and the CRIMSON.

Most of the sum will go toward providing housing for married and graduate students-even though initial outlay on the recently-announced 800-unit Fort Devens project is expected to be small-while $100,000 is being allotted for a University Cafeteria especially for graduate students.

Hidden expenses for temporary housing will drop out when the University has to tear down the six-family units already erected and proposed Quonset huts, in accordance with city ordinances, Reynolds stated.

On the other hand, buildings at Fort Devens converted at federal expense under FPHA authority will have to be reconverted for the War Department with an unestimated amount of special University funds.

As a partial set-off against expenses for veterans aid running at the rate of $200,000 a year, rents amounting to some $70,000 annually will be collected from the Jarvis Courts and Soldiers Field apartments while rents at Devens, not yet finally determined, will run at a some-what lower rate, Reynolds believes.

Initial expenses on the various University housing projects are as follows: six-apartment units already set up, $140,000; 40 two-family Quonset huts already applied for, $60,000 (for installation only); Hotel Brunswick $30,000 (with an additional $25,000 to $50,000 operating expenses); and further renovating costs for odd single houses which have been bought up to be used on a cooperative housekeeping basis.