Livingstone Calls For Civilian Atom Control

Describing the development of national and international proposals for the control of atomic energy, and the need for passage of the McMahon Bill, M. Stanley Livingstone, associate professor of Nuclear Physics at M. I. T., addressed the Harvard Liberal Union last night at Phillips Brooks House.

Livingstone pointed out the need for civilian control of atomic energy to promote the peacetime use of the power and to strengthen our position in the international control councils. He added that he hoped the Liberal Union would take steps to urge the removal of crippling amendments to the McMahon bill, which calls for civilian control.

Taking the place of Wendell Furry, professor of Physics, the scheduled speaker for the meeting, Livingstone concluded his remarks on a note of hope, by saying that a through understanding of atomic power may prevent us from entering an atomic arms race and further wars.

Furry had gone to Washington yesterday on behalf of the Association of Cambridge Scientists to bring pressure for the passage of the atomic energy control measures.