Professor Romer New Director of Zoology Museum

Will Assume Position in Fall; On Faculty Here Since 1934; Directs Biology Laboratories

Alfred S. Romer, Professor of Zoology at the University since 1934, has been appointed Director of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, effective September 1, University officials announced last Tuesday.

In assuming his duties, Professor Romer fills the vacancy created last January by the death of Professor Thomas Barbour. Professor Henry B. Bigelow has served as Acting Director in the interim.

Served As Tutor

Professor Romer, who lives at 38 Avon Street, Cambridge, has also served the University in the capacities of Tutor in the Department of Biology, Curator of Vertebrate Paleontology, and Director of the Biological Laboratories.

Among the books he has written are "Vertebrate Paleontology" and "Man and the Vertebrates," both published in 1933. He is a member of the American Association of Anatomists, Paleontology Society, American Society of Zoologists, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Phi Kappa Psi, and the Geological Society of America.

Received A. B. From Amherst

Born in 1894 in White Plains, New York, Professor Romer received his A. B. degree from Amherst College in 1917, and, after advancing from Private to Second Lieutenant in France in the first World War, got his Ph.D. from Columbia in 1921. Before coming to the University, he served as a professor at New York University and the University of Chicago.

Professor Romer will assume his new post next fall, when he returns from a vacation in New Mexico.