Varsity Nine Nips Squantum For Third Summer Win, 5-4

Crimson Bounces Back Quickly From Second Terrier Beating; Moravec Chalks Up Mound Victory as Control Improves; Seucuey Knocks in Winning Runs With Long Homer

Sparked by the return of Vince Moravec' to the mound and by Charlie Sensucy's three-run homer in the fifth, the Varsity nine bounced back from their recent humbling by Boston University and nosed out the Squantum Naval Air Base team 5 to 4 Wednesday at Soldiers Field.

The high-light of the game was Moravec's new found control. Vince's best showing in the walk department prior to Wednesday's tilt with Squantum was five passes, but he allowed only one free ticket to the sailors.

Besides the three run rally in the fifth, the Crimson nicked the sailors for all-important single tallies in the second and sixth. The Squantum scoring consisted of two runs in the fourth and another two in a last inning spurt in the seventh.

Senseney's game-winning homer came in the fifth with two men aboard. Herbie Neal walked to open the frame. Johnny Florentino struck out and Moravec singled. Sensency then blasted out his four-bagger to put the Crimson ahead 4 to 2.

Samborski Pleased

Coach Adolph Samborski said that he was pleased with the Varsity's showing against the sailors. Wednesday's win was Harvard's second victory over Squantum this summer. The first win, also by a one run margin, 7 to 6, caine on July 8.

First blood in the game was drawn by the Crimson in the second. Crawford Hubbell got on first by a fielder's choice. He stole second and then advanced to third on a passed ball. Bob Feloncy knocked out a sharp single scoring Hubbell.

Dave Farrell, Moravec, and Senseney were the golden-boys at the plate, each getting two hits for three tries.

Although the game is not scheduled definitely yet, Samborski said that the Squantum squad may get one more shot at the Crimson Varsity this summer.

The summary: HARVARD   ab  r  h  po  a  e Harford, cf  4  0  0  3  0  0 Farrell, ss  3  1  2  1  0  0 Neal, 3b  2  1  0  2  1  0 Florentino, 1b  3  0  1  5  1  0 Moravec, p  3  1  2  0  2  0 Senseney, 2b  3  1  2  3  3  0 Hubbell, rf  3  1  0  1  0  0 Feloney, lf  3  0  1  1  0  0 Essayen, c  2  0  1  5  0  0   --  --  --  --  --  -- Totals  26  5  9  21  7  0

Innings  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  r  h  e Harvard  0  1  0  0  3  1  x  5  9  0 Squantum  0  0  0  2  0  0  2  4  7  2

Two-base hits: Mascarelli, Farrel. Three-base hits: Keane. Home runs: Senseney, Hannogan. Double play: Moravec to Senseney to Florentino. Bases on Balls. Moravec 1, O'Brien 3, Kenny 2. Strike outs: Moravec 5, O'Brien 4, Kenny 1.