Smith Sets Pace In First Postwar Sculling Regatta

Day Noses Out Simmons by 18 Inches for Second, Cracked 155 Event Record Earlier

With Templeton Smith easily outdistancing his 155 pound runner up in the Winner's Race with a time of 3:14.9 for the half mile, the first post-war sculling regatta came to a successful end under pleasant akies last Monday.

Although Thomas Day offered no competition to the awifter Smith, the fight for the second slot turned the Winner's Race into a real thriller. The race got underway with all oarsmen off to a fast start, but Smith's steady powerful stroke soon forged his craft well ahead of the other three singles.

Challinor Takes Novice Title

Dave Challinor, winner of the Novice Single event, rowed well, but the race settled down to a gruelling battle for second place between Day and Julian Simmons '42, who had handily won the Junior Singles crown.

For the entire half-mile course Day and Simmons rowed almost stroke for stroke, and when they shot across the finish line, Coach Blake Dennison gave the nod to Day by less than 18 inches.

Day Wins 155

Highlight of last Friday's class championship races was the 155 event. This race was touted by Dennison and Ed Callanan '41, clerk of the course, to be the show-pice of the meet; and it was. Both Day and Bill Dowd, who followed less than a boat length behind, broke the standing record for the event.

George H. Wadsworth chalked up a time of 3:21 for the sprint in 1942, but Day sliced almost four seconds off this mark, turning in a 3:17.8.

Resume of the meet:

WINNERS RACE -- 3:14.9: T. Smith, Day, Simmons, Challinor.

SENIOR SINGLES -- 3:14.6: Smith, Jeffries.

JUNIOR SINGLES -- 3:22.2: Simmons, Livingston, Trafton, Shaw.

NOVICE SINGLES -- 3:30.2: Challinor, Westly, Clement, Homans.

155 POUND SINGLES -- 3:17.8: Day, Dowd, Swift, Adams.

COMPROMISES -- 3:41.9: Lorentzen, Morse, Brewer, Whitten.

WHERRIES -- 4:14.6: Turner, Judkins, Taylor, Grant. HOUSE STANDINGS   Men Entered  Points Winthrop  7  15 Dunster  3  6 Kirkland  6  4 Leverett  5  4 Adams  2  3 Dudley  3  0