Hoopsters Hit Ivy Loop Play After 4 Years

Barclay Quintet to Face Tough Corncll Five Tomorrow Night In First Contest Since War

By Irvin M. Horowitz

A Harvard basketball team makes its first appearance in Ivy League competition in four seasons tomorrow night, when the Crimson hoopsters take on the Cornell five at Ithaca in what experts expect will be an early season indication of the probable title winner.

With Dartmouth's apparent demise from Ivy supremacy, as indicated by the six-game losing streak suffered by the Big Green in its western tour, the gentlemen in the know have singled out the Ithacans and the Varsity as the clubs to beat this season. Coach Bill Barclay's indoctrination into Ivy League play will thus come as a formidable test; his charges are not likely to meet stiffer opposition anywhere in the circuit.

New Cornell Coach

Cornell is coached by Royner Green, who replaced Speed Wilson this season. The new mentor is a product of Middletown, Ohio, where his high school quintet captured 236 out of 280 games, including a skein of 43 consecutive victories.

Five solid triumphs are the major reason for the high opinion people have of the Ithaca quintet. Included among the team's victims are Rochester, Niagara, Yale, Colgate and Vermont, while Coach Earl Brown's strong Canisius club handed a ten-point defeat to the squad last Saturday. The Big Red's 21-point crushing defeat of Yale places Cornell temporarily in first place in the Ivy League alongside Pennsylvania, also a victor over the Elis.

Gale Brothers Spark

Standout performers for Coach Green are the brothers Gale, a pair of huge, talented operatives. Bob, who measures six foot five, was the leading scorer in the Ivy League four years ago, while Jim, an inch shorter, is regarded as just a shade less proficient than his elder brother. These two lads are dwarfed by one Ed Peterson, a six-foot-nine-inch performer who was previously used as a reserve, but may start at center against the Varsity.

In addition to the long men, a few competent medium-sized players will also be on hand for the home team. Harry Middleton is a probable starter at forward, while Bobby Gallagher, an outstanding playmaker, and former footballer Hilary Chollet will be used at guards.

For the Crimson, Barclay is expected to use essentially the same lineup which outdistanced Brown Wednesday night. Leo Page will team with Steve Davis or John Gantt at the forwards, George Hauptfuhrer is ensconced at the center position, and Captain Saul Mariaschit will be used with Bill Henry or Bill Harford at the guards.Gale Brothers, Cornell's Big Threat These are Cornell's GALE brothers, BOB (left) is a six-foot-five-inch forward and JIM (right) a six-foot-four-inch guard. They and their Big Red teammates intend to give the Varsity basketball team a warm welcome at ithaca tomorrow night.