Quintet Bows to Cornell, 56-39, in League Debut

Itbacans Pull Ahead after Tie Score Early in Second Half; Gale Brothers Top Scorers

By Jerry Lamb and Cornell Sun

ITHACA. N. Y., Jan. 12 Trailing by three points at the intermission, Harvard tied the count at 26 to 26 early in the second half, but Cornell moved easily ahead to swamp the Crimson, 56 to 39, in an Eastern Intercollegiate basketball game played at Barton Hall Saturday night before 7,000 spectators.

It was the visitors' first league clash, while for the Big Red it was the second Ivy win without a loss.

Captain Bob Gale, Cornell's six-foot-four-inch former all-Ivy League pivot man, led the individual scoring with 15 points on six field goals and three fouls. Bob was closely followed by his brother Jim, who accounted for 14 Big Red counters.

George Hauptfuhrer, the Crimson scoring ace, was tightly bottled up all evening, but came through with four shots from the floor and four more from the 15-foot line to pace Harvard with 12 points. Teammate Leo Page, flaunting a deadly one-hnad set shot, dropped five from the floor to match Cornell's Hillary Chollet with ten.

Crimson Takes Early Lead

After Ed Peterson had sent the Big Red off to a 1 to 0 lead with a free throw, Steve Davis dunked a neat pivot to give the Crimson the margin, and the visitors from Cambridge stayed there for thirteen minutes of the first half.

Six quick points by Hauptfuhrer and the steady floor play of Captain Saul Mariaschin propelled Harvard to an 11 to 6 lead before Cornell could begin hacking away at the difference. With 13 minutes gone by, a long overhead set by Peterson and Jim Gale's pivot sent the Redmen ahead, 15 to 14.

The remainder of the period was close, and Harvard left the floor trailing 21 to 24. After three minutes and ten seconds of the second period, the Crimson knotted the count at 26-all on Mariaschin's foul shot, but this was the last time the visitors were to see the basket for six long minutes as Cornell swept to an insurmountable 41 to 26 lead.

At one time the Big Red defense was so effective that Harvard was unable to get off a shot at the basket, and appeared to be freezing the ball for one solid minute while trailing by 19 points. In the closing minutes coaches Roy Greene and Bill Barclay substituted freely, and the Crimson was able to close in slighlty

The loss was Harvard's third in eleven starts this season, and was Cornell's sixth win in eight games, after two consecutive losses to Canisius and Syracuse. Crimson Sees Red CORNELL (56) G  F  P Arrison, lf  1  1  3 Gallagher  1  0  2 R. Gale, rf  6  3  15 Booze  0  0  0 Peterson, c  1  1  3 J. Gale  6  2  14 Dowd  0  0  0 Hodapp, lg  3  1  7 Middleton  1  0  2 Savitt  0  0  0 Chollett, rg  3  4  10 Giles  0  0  0 Totals  22  12  56 HARVARD (30) G  F  P Davis, lf  2  0  4 Gantt  1  0  2 Noble  1  0  2 Page, rf  5  0  10 Nelson  0  0  0 Hauptfuhrer, c  4  4  12 Mariaschin, lg  2  4  3 Petrillo  0  0  0 Henry, rg  0  1  1 Gannon  0  0  0 Harford  0  0  0 Totals  15  9  39