Yardling Matmen Stop 6-Year Win Streak of Milton

Six years of undefeated wrestling teams at Milton Academy went by the boards last Saturday when a powerful Yardling grappling team took six of eight bouts to gain a decisive 20 to 8 victory over the prep-schoolers and hand them their first defeat in over fifty meets. Ray Rogers, an ace grappler at Milton last year, captained the Freshmen in their first official meet of the season on the Milton Academy mats.

Heralded as one of the best Freshman wrestling teams in recent Harvard history, the Yardlings proved they will be tough to beat for the rest of the season as they showed good men in seven of the eight positions. The Milton team although experienced in every class was no match for the Yardling spirit and wrestling know-how.

Howie Houston scored the only fall for the Crimson when he pinned Ed Handy of Milton in a rough and tumble match in 6:17 to take the unlimited division. Clearly stronger than his opponent, Houston relied on his power and had the situation well in hand all the way.

In probably the most exciting match of the meet, Red Cassidy lost a close decision to the Milton captain in the 145-pound match that threatened to go either vay until the final whistle. Jim Waddell von a decision for the Crimson at the 121-pound class as did Jim Westfall in he 128-pound class. Bill Currier won by a good margin of the 136-pound weight.