Holiday-Depleted Pucksters Set Back Twice in Vacation

Prove Easy Picking for Strong B.A.A. Squad, 6-1; Speedy B.C. Upsets Crimson, 6 to 3

It may have been vacation to the rest of the College, but to the hard-working members of the hockey squad it was just that many more days of rigorous training and practice for two holiday contests. Local pucksters mustered manpower enough to take on the B.A.A. and B.C., but lacked strength to pull a victory out of either game.

First of these two defeats came at the hands of the Boston Athletic Association on December 23. A squad composed almost entirely of former Crimson players, including four of the famous Harding family, had no trouble at all in pinning a 6-1 defeat on the weakened pucksters. Without the services of goalie Paul Lavelle, the netmen were at the mercy of a dazzling B.A.A. offense.

B.C. Wine in Upset

One week later, the Crimson was again set back by a greatly under-rated Boston College outfit by a score of 6-3, in the first meeting of the two colleges for over 25 years. The Eagles racked up three points in the first seven minutes of the opening period, and hung onto this lead; swapping point for point with the Crimson for the remainder of the contest.

Dave Farrell tallied first for Harvard, sinking a hopper near the end of the first period. Another goal by B.C.'s Johnny Murphy opened the second period, but Johnny Crocker slapped a pass from Bob Feloney ten minutes later to put the Cantabs back in the game.

Playing got rougher in the final stanza; when Feloney nudged in a pass from Farrell putting victory within reach. But McIntire of the Eagles slapped one through with two minutes to go, icing the contest, and the rest of the game was devoted to settling private fouds, with one fight breaking out, resulting in a flock of penalties for B.C.

This contest winds up the pucksters' official activities until after mid-year exams with the next contest, against Holy Cross, slated for February 3.