Faculty Body Plans 'Brain' Peace Chores

Developing peacetime problems in the social and physical sciences for the University's "mechanical brain" will be the job of a new faculty committee whose appointment was announced yesterday by Provost Buck.

Named the Committee on Applied Mathematics and the Calculating Laboratory, the group will for the first time consider application of the mechanical calculator to research in medicine, economics, social relations, and engineering, as well as in the pure physical sciences.

The calculator has been grinding out answers for the Navy most of each day, but more time will now be allotted to civilian problems.

Committee Named

Members of the Committee are:

Provost Buck, chairman; Edward Reynolds, administrative vice president of the University; Gordon M. Fair, Dean of the Faculty of Engineering; James S. Simmons, Dean of the School of Public Health; Howard H. Aiken, professor of Applied Mathematics and Director of the Computation Laboratory.

Garrett Birkhoff '32, professor of Mathematics; Howard W. Emmons, associate professor of Engineering Science; Wassily W. Leontief, professor of Economics; Donald H. Menzel, professor of Astrophysics; Julian S. Schwinger, professor of Physics; Julian S. Schwinger, professor of Physics; Samuel A. Stouffer, professor of Sociology and Director of the Laboratory of Social Relations.