Purple Falls as Concrete Shows No Bloodstains

By Burton S. Glinn

To the surprise of no one, except perhaps the unfortunate few who take the printings of the Metropolitan press seriously, the football game last Saturday was fought, as most football games are, from sideline to sideline. Close post game inspection revealed no dents in the concrete and only a few widely scattered scuff marks in the chalk boundaries.

The personal animosity, so widely heralded by pre-game fable, was completely dissipated in strictly within-bounds, highly legal, and bruisingly rough football. It became evident, after the announcement that Paul Lazzaro's injury was not serious, that the only casualty of the day was inflicted upon the feelings of one William J. Bingham '16, by a dateless cheering section.

Harlow is Handy

If Harvard rooters were short of feminine companionship there was still at least one hand too many on the Crimson side of the field. According to a local sports writer's story three-handed Dick Harlow after the game simultaneously patted Ox DaGrosa's head, shook his hand, and stroked his shoulder. This probably was the neatest trick of the week even for a man referred to by another imaginative scribe as a "Machievellian fern fancier."

Dick looked anything but Machiavellian when he rused out to greet Bucky Harrison after that worthy had place kicked the point after touchdown. Harlow congratulated Bucky and placed an affectionate arm around his shoulder, taking great care to use only two hands this time.

Moravee Sends Message

The exuberance at the seventh point was shared all down the line from acting captain Ken O'Donnell to hospitalized Vince Moravec, the leader O'Donnell replaced. Vince wrote a letter to the team which Dick Harlow read to them immediately before the game. Whereupon Messrs, Gannon, Lazzaro, Fiorentino, and company relayed the message to Holy Cross in a highly satisfactory manner.

After sixty minutes of hard football on the hottest day in memory the Crimson eleven tightened their belts a few notches to take up the slack left by dissolved avoirdupois.