Council Appeals for 120 Workers

Groundwork Ended, Men Needed to Fill Committee Positions

Student Council administrative and investigatory machinery slid into high gear yesterday as President Edric A. Weld '46 appealed to the College for at least 120 men to execute a detailed program of activities blue- printed by the Council this fall.

Declaring the organizational groundwork at an end, Weld put out a call for "men of ability not otherwise connected with activities. We want the people who don't ordinarily try out for competitions, but who are interested in specific project."

"From now on we're ready to start plowing in, "he stated.

Following closely Weld's appeal, William D. Weeks '49, chairman of the Council's curriculum and Tenure Committee that is working on the General Education program, made the first specific pies for help. He asked that men interested in aiding the committee attend a meeting at 7:30 o'clock tonight in Lowell House junior common room.

Weld said of the 10 regular Council, committees, only three are now fully staffed. "More work than we can possibly tackle this year" remains to be done on such bodies as the Extra-Curricular Activities Committee with its plans for pushing a Students Activities Center.

The Curriculum and Tenure group Weeks disclosed, will investigate the tutorial and advisory set-ups in the College this year and will consider adding more upper-group courses to the General Education program.

Berths are also open on the international Activities committee, currently laboring on eight different projects, Welt said. The committee on the National Student Finance and Foreign Students committee are all in need of men, he emphasized.

Volunteers for Student Council activities may apply at the Council office in Phillips Brooks House from 1 to 5 o'clock, Monday through Friday. The phone is Kirkland 7600, extension 365.

Student of the College will decide today whether the all male cheering section should be abolished, the Student Council announced last night. Polls that "may determine H. A. A. seating policy for years to come" will be distributed at lunch and dinner.