Mikkola Set for University Handicap

Annual Race Today Attracts 40 Varsity, Freshman Runners

Jaakko Mikkola will dust off his stop watch for the first time this fall and get down to what is instead of what seems with the running of the annual University Handicap this afternoon. The first group of runners will bounce away from the starting line outside Newell Boat House promptly at 3:30 o'clock.

Other groups, handicapped by Mikkola will follow this timetable: group two 3:32:10; group three 3:33:10; group four, 3:33:50; group five, 3:34:50, and group six (the scratch men) 3:35:50. Unlike Dean's List ratings, the highest group men are rated by Mikkola as the best, having to give away a full five minutes and 50 seconds to the advance guard. Theoretically, everybody should hit the finish line of the 3.7 mile course together, but since at least 40 runners will compete, this possibility is remote.

Rosenfeld, O'Connor injured

Although the "Handicap" is open to anyone in the University most interest will focus on the six harriers who will be starting from scratch. They are Ardan Albee '50, Bill Baker '50, Jack Cogan '50, Vince Moriarty '47, Paul Friedrich '49, and Charley Worth '47. Absent from this list will be Captain Huna Rosenfeld '46, Bill O'Connor '49, Herby Pratt '46, and Frank Gurley '47.

'Rosie" and O'Connor have been nursing leg injuries for the past week, Pratt hasn't showed up yet, and Gurley, Captain-elect of the track team, is definitely out for the current cross country season because of a heavy academic schedule. Additional time trials will be held next week, but according to Jaakko, the ten or twelve top men in the Handicap race today will be the ones who will face Holy Cross and M.I.T. a week from tomorrow.

Adjusted Times Will Count

With the corrected time ruling in effect today, the winner of the race may not actually cross the finish line first. Handicap allowances will be thrown out in the final scoring, since individual start-to-finish times will be taken on each runner.