B.U. Grid Aggregation Represents Growing University, 25,000 Students

The eleven men who line up against the Crimson at 2:30 o'clock this afternoon will be drawn from a huge and sprawling University of 25,725 students whose seven undergraduates and five graduate schools dot the entire Boston area all the way from Beacon Hill to the Harvard Square area.

Although this latter institution-Sargent College, along with the various graduate schools, does not qualify under the eligibility rules, theis still leaves a healthy segment of local manhod to choose a team from, as one of B.U.'s proudest boasts, published in Football Facts, is that its enrollment "includes more Congregationalists than are to be found in Amherst and Dartmouth Colleges, both of them established by the Congregationalists: more Baptists than in the Baptist Colleges . . . Bates and Colby: more Episcopalians than in Trinity: more Methodists than in the Methodist colleges of Wesleyan, Connecticut, and Wesleyan, Georgia, combined: more Unitarians than in Harvard: and more Roman Catholics than in Boston College."

Founded in 1869

It all started back in 1869 with the original purpose of training Christian ministers in the School of Theology. From that point on it was a story of steadily increasing size and range of studies, and as a result the college buildings expanded in a rather haphazard fashion throughout the entire city, there being no original campus.

B.U.'s latest extensions include the million dollar business school on Commonwealth Avenue, completed in 1939, and a second million dollar project for the College of Liberal Arts now under construction right next door. Within a decade, most of the far-flung University will be concentrated in that area.