Cogan Wins Handicap; Mikkola Lauds '51 Men

While Crimson and B.U. football units looked dangerous for the press photographers in the Stadium, and the band limbered up outside, 26 unnoticed Varsity and Freshman cross country candidates plodded around the University Handicap course yesterday afternoon.

Captain Huna Rosenfeld, Bill O'Connor, Bill Leming, and Vince Moriarty, ail on the injured list, watched the annual 3.7 mile race from the sidelines. Whether they will be able to start in this Friday's opening meet against Holy Cross and M.I.T. is still uncertain.

Cogan Wins

Although F. Kafka '49 was the first runner to cross the finish line outside Nowell Boat House, his corrected time of 22 minutes, 58 seconds gave him only sixteenth place. Jack Cogan, the former Melrose High School speedboy, Paul Friedrich, Bill Baker, and Charley Worth all starting from scratch, had the best times in that order. They are all Varsity men.

Back of this quartet comes a big time-gap before the next Varsity runner is reached. Coach Mikkola expressed concern over this situation, particularly since the number two finisher yesterday, tall Paul Friedrich, is a transfer student from Williams and won't be able to compete for the Crimson this fall under the eligibility ruling. Mikkola thought the showing of the Freshmen was "very encouraging."

Leading finishers (on basis of corrected times): Won by J. Cogan '50, 20 minutes, 27 seconds; 2, P. Friedrich '49, 20 minutes, 32 seconds; 3, W. Baker '50, 20 minutes, 36 6/10 seconds; 4, C. Worth '49, 20 minutes, 37 seconds; 5, R. Welch '51, 21 minutes, 17 seconds.