Red Cross Aids Student Leader Sick at Prague

Streptomycin was on the way last night from the American Red Cross to William Ellis '44, lying ill with pneumonia and pleurisy in a Prague hospital in the hope that the rare drug might help him regain his health.

News of Ellis' series condition first reached friends and, parents when a UP dispatch reported an appeal from the Czechoslovakian Red Cross for the drug. When a check with local officials revealed that no cable had been received by the Red Cross here, David M. Little '18, Master of Adams House and a friend of Ellis, asked that the drug be sent overseas.

Diagnosis Asked

Little sent a cable yesterday asking for a full diagnosis so that any needed medical supplies could be sent. Up to late last night no answer had been received and efforts to get further information from the wire services proved futile.

Ellis, vice-president of the International Student Union, and former treasurer of the Student Council, went to Europe last January. While in Rome in July he contracted paratyphoid which left him in a greatly weakened condition, friends said.