Spirits No Sop to Sniffles, Says Bock As Fall Virus Penetrates Local Areas

"We have no pills or magic cures for them," said Arlie V. Bock, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Medicine, yesterday as round one in the annual battle of the Fall colds opened with a large sneeze.

Although lecturers were having some difficulty making themselves heard, especially in the larger courses, Stillman officials said last night that there was no threat of an epidemic. "There is no more than the normal autumn incidence of colds here now," Rock said.

'Cliffe Sees Pills as Cure-all

Across the Common, though, things were different. Radcliffe health authorities were dispensing little brown pills to all comers at the Student Health Center. Maintaining a Spartan attitude, they refused to put anybody to bed.

Although the Hygiene Department is reluctant to speed undergraduates on their way to the infirmary, it is well equipped to handle any epidemic that might develop.

Dr. Bock prescribed bed and quiet for all Harvard undergraduates hamstrung by colds. He frowned on the use of alcoholic remedies of the bottled type as possible treatment, and questioned their potency.

Preventives such as nasal inhalators don't do as much good as people think, either, according to Dr. Bock. Plenty of rest is the best cure, he commented.

Wellesley Endangered

Meanwhile, astute commentators, noting the proximity of Radcliffe to the University and vice-versa, and the rash of colds among students at both institutions, were surmising on the possibilities of contagion. They predicted a spread to Wellesley by the end of the coming weekend.