Labor Pains

Final tallying of the British election last week proved nothing too certain except that the austere life does not lead to contentment. The English, Scotch and Welsh expressed dissatisfaction not so much with the socialist doctrine of the Labor Party as with a host of little unpleasantries that have been digging them ever deeper lately. The cut in the food ration, housing inertia, a ban on travel, and end of pleasure driving aided the Conservatives in turning out a vote fifty-six percent greater than last year but composed mostly of those who only hurl their ballots when they perceive what they deem the source of their discontent.

After the Conservatives had surveyed their forty percent gain with mild surprise, they turned toward thoughts of general election. But it is doubtful whether they really sought a reign over this period of trial and tears; the role of critic is safer and more remunerative in the final showing. They were saved from any possibility of gaining power, though, since Prime Minister Attlee considered election returns an expression of temporary dissatisfaction rather than deep-rooted censure of socialist planning, and nationalization of industry will continue at least till the 1950 regular election.

Actually the Conservative party has given little evidence of something more to offer than the Laborites. Tory leaders have remained discreetly silent on whatever plans they may have for solving Britain's economic difficulties. However, there is certainty that they could not undo whatever nationalization that has already set in. Not only would such a regression prove economically disastrous but would be out of keeping with the Conservative Party platforms of years past that have been built close by Labor Party platforms in favoring the nationalization of basic industries. Most significance in a near platform less Conservative Party's election sweep lies in its effect on the Labor Party leaders, the election should stimulate them into building an economy strong enough to withstand the real test in 1950.