Fire Chief Threatens Raids On 'Locked Door' Lectures

Raids by the Cambridge Fire Department were threatened yesterday if professors continued their locked-door policy as discipline for tardy students.

Deputy Chief Caldwell of the Lincoln Square Fire Station opposite Memorial Hall declared that it was illegal to lock the doors of lecture rooms unless the exits are equipped with panic-bars.

"The Chief himself might make an inspection during one of the lectures if the violations continue," Caldwell asserted.

Students last night named Charles H. Taylor '21, Henry Lea Professor of Medieval History, and Arthur M. Schlesinger, Sr., Francis Lee Higginson Professor of History, as the worst offenders. A quick investigation of New Lecture Hall, where Taylor's course, History 1, is given showed no panic-bars are provided. Many students, especially of History 1, were willing to agree that New Lecture Hall was one of the worst fire-traps in Cambridge.

Most felt that although the pursuit and acquisition of knowledge are noble and desirable endeavors, to say the least, they nevertheless could be just as easily fulfilled with the exits uncluttered by locked doors. The consensus of opinion seemed to be that safety and education were not incompatible.

"If this thing happens again, just call Trowbridge 0125 and ask for me," said the deputy chief last night.