Cadbury May Go to Oslo for $38,000 Nobel Peace Prize

Henry J. Cadbury, Hollis Professor of Divinity, will leave today for Philadelphia to attend a meeting of the American Friends Service Committee which will decide whether he will go to Oslo, Norway, in December to receive the $38,000 Nobel Peace Prize awarded to the organization last weak.

As chairman of the Quakers' U.S. welfare agency he received a cable Friday night announcing the award to the American and British branches. He is the logical functionary to represent the relief agency at the presentation ceremony.

Cadbury did not know last night if he would fellow the Scandinavian-bound footsteps of his next door neighbor, Percy W. Bridgman '04, who as Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy went to Oslo last year for the annual physics prize.

Only Represents Group

"When it's a personal award," said Cadbury, "you invariably go to Norway to receive it. But in my case I am only representative of the Friends Society." He thought it possible that Clarence E. Picket, secretary of the group and a Divinity School graduate in '23, might be dispatched.

The Divinity School professor noted that he and his wife spent last summer in Oslo for the first time, and he regretted that the chance for a second visit didn't come "a little farther apart.

"Besides, it was pretty pleasant when I was there, but around December 10 I understand it gets a little cold," Cadbury smiled.

Have Common Fence

Besides their association with the prize of Alfred B. Nobel, established by the inventor of dynamite in 1896, and the mutual ownership of a picket fence, Cadbury and Bridman have another common ground. Both hold the oldest professorial chairs in the College under the Hollis eighteenth century bequest.

No other Nobel awards have been announced yet this year, and the physics, chemistry, medicine and psychology, and literature funds have still to be allotted. At times the Swedish government has passed a category, or not paid out any kroner at all, as occurred in 1940 through 1943.